Tuesday, April 1, 2014

2014 Goals: Update!

I have no idea what happened to me this winter- the weather has completely taken every extra ounce of energy out of me! This past week has been a little warmer, bringing weather that's more expected this time of year. Honestly, I'll take the rain and the cloudy days over another snow storm. It means we're one step closer to sunny skies and days at the beach.

All the ice gets pushed up against the rocks.
But enough small talk. At the beginning of the year, I wrote a post that listed some of the goals that I wanted to accomplish by the end of the year. Some of them were goals that I wanted to become habits (like getting used to exercising a certain number of minutes each week), and others were fun things that I want to do in my lifetime. My blog brings a certain level of accountability to my life and I wanted to tap into that today and give an update on how those goals are doing!

1. Get at least 60 minutes of physical exercise a week.
I will admit that I let this one go at the beginning of March. I was doing well until a few weeks ago when I got sick and gave up my workout for a few days. I'm telling you, that's all it takes! So, I'm making a point to get back into the swing of things. In fact, after this post is published, I'm going to do some yoga.

2. Learn a new language.
French is the language I had in mind when I started this round of goal-setting. I have been using an eresource through my local library called Mango Languages that allows you to learn a new language with online courses. These include activities, conversational practice, and cultural insight. It's such fun! My next step is to try and find a "pen pal" who would be willing to email me and help me speak that way. Check with your local library to see if this resource is available to you!

3. Pay off one of our bigger student loans.
It's still early in the year so this hasn't happened yet. However, as of a few weeks ago, my husband (who is a budget wizard) and I came up with a financial plan for us that would allow us to pay off all of our combined school debt in 3.5 years based on our current income. I cannot tell you how excited I am that this can happen in less than 5 years.

4. Successfully bake a batch of French macarons. 
Still haven't gotten around to doing this year, but I promise, you'll hear about it when I do!

5. Get better at not comparing my life to the lives of those around me.
This is another one of those goals that I want to become a habit in my life. I've seen some improvement lately and I'm glad about that, but this is something that I will be striving for every single day.

6. Read 100 books.
Currently, I've read 34 out of 100 books. According to Goodreads, I'm 10 books ahead of schedule. Hehe.

7. Complete at least 5 things off of my 25 Before 25 list.
So far, I've completed 3 items off of said list:
Spend the night in Chicago: Luis and I spent the night in Chicago in November and it was such an amazing experience. It felt so good to get away for a few days and see the city just because. It's amazing how refreshing those little experiences can be to your life.

Go to a concert/play: In late February, we went to go see The Phantom of the Opera in the city with some friends. I have been dreaming of doing this since I first heard the music at age 15!

Take a class just for fun: Incidentally, my goal of learning a new language fits perfectly with this goal. 

How have your 2014 goals progressed? Have they? Haven't they? I'd love to hear about it!

1 comment:

  1. Emilyraphael@gmail.comApril 9, 2014 at 7:40 PM

    Oh, Phantom! Isn't it beautiful?!?! Also, your Goodreads updates are putting me to shame! I could get so much more reading done if I didn't need sleep:P As always, beautiful pictures, my friend!

    ReplyDelete

BlogCatalog BlogCatalog