|Aren't our glasses the bomb?!|
We've all been there... the sting from a backhanded compliment. I like to refer to them as "comli-sults"... Compliment/insults. Sometimes they are said with the best of intentions, but get lost in translation, and sometimes they are said with pure malice. Here are some of the
1. "I love how you look with short hair. It makes your face seem less long." I kid you not... someone has told me this before. To be fair, it was a guy telling me this, and he was clearly lacking in certain verbal graces, but still. He's kind of the reason I wore my hair short for almost 5 years... I developed a complex. Man... I gotta develop thicker skin.
2. "OMG you look just like Avril Lavigne!!" I don't even know what to say about this one. I've been told this twice in my life. Personally, I don't see it...
3. "You look really hot from far away." And what? I don't up close?? This was particularly devastating because the guy saying this to me was super cute...
4. "You're so pretty! Are you European?" What are you saying? That American's can't be attractive?
5."You look so tired today." This phrase should forever be wiped from the minds of all humankind. Never say this to someone else.
6. "You have beautiful hair. Is it real??" I could write an entire blog post on how offensive this "compliment" really is. WHY would you EVER ask someone this?
7. "Your makeup looks so great today."
8. "You really grew into your nose." Well I'm glad you think so! ... sheesh.
9. "I'm glad you work here now. You are definitely the decorative aspect of this institution." Wha...?
10. "You smell good... like bacon." Uh, thanks?
So let's here your compli-sults!