Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Door County Trip: Part 1


Sometimes, in life, you do things because they make you feel good. I know. That sentence was about as eloquent as Barney... but seriously. For most people out there, a lot is required of them, whether it be at their jobs, with family, or unforeseen complications. But sometimes I feel like we glorify "busy" in our society. You meet with friends and the first answer you get when asked how they are is, "ugh, I'm just so busy," like it's socially unacceptable to be anything other than overwhelmed. We forget that everyone has responsibilities and run-ins that they'd rather not have.


And I am absolutely, 100% guilty of doing this... all the time. Life has me in a bit of a choke hold right now, but why should that be what I meditate on each day? If my twenty-two years have taught me anything, it's that life changes and it changes rapidly. What I'm going through now will seem so distant in a few months. Some aspects will remain, but things come and go. And I'm forgetting one thing: I'm not alone. And don't get me wrong: I'm not saying we can't have an honest dialogue about what ails us. I just don't want my problems to be my focus.


That's why we take vacations! It's necessary to disconnect for a few days, literally vacate your life and your mind for a brief time, and reconnect with love, happiness, and peace. It has nothing to do with denial or blindly sweeping things under the proverbial carpet, but it's all about perspective; it changes when you remember what it feels like to "just live."


Neither of us had been to a winery before, and we really wanted to go on a wine tasting tour. We ended up at Lautenbach's Orchard Country Winery for a tour and tasting. Their winery sits right next to their fairly extensive orchard where they grow their own fruit to turn into wine and other products to sell in their market. The barn houses the wine production facility and tasting room. It smelled amazing in there. Not only do they make wine from grapes, but they also turn peaches, apples, and cherries into amazing wine. Plus, we got to keep our tasting glass (I'm a sucker for freebies...).

 

Waiting for the tour to begin. We had amazing weather!


I love this photo that Luis took of an old truck through the grape vines. 


Luis was pretty adamant about getting out on the water in Door County...


More specifically, he wanted to go parasailing...


So he did! He chose to be suspended at 500 feet, which was the highest option you could choose. 


...Can't even see him...

What do you do to reconnect with yourself and with life?

No comments:

Post a Comment

BlogCatalog BlogCatalog