Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Spaghetti with Broiled Parmesan Tomatoes


One of my favorite meals growing up was my mom's spaghetti. She made it very simply, with sauce and maybe some ground beef thrown in. It was so comforting to me, and I therefore came to equate spaghetti with my childhood and all of its comforts. 
It was surprising to me when I realized that since I got married and moved out of my childhood home, that I had yet to make spaghetti! So here I am, sharing an incredibly simple pasta recipe that I know you're going to love.


Spaghetti with Broiled Parmesan Tomatoes
Serves 4
Ingredients:
1 package spaghetti
1 package of Campari tomatoes (you can really use any tomato, this is just what I used)
1 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
1 can crushed tomatoes
1 can tomato paste
Salt and pepper to taste
6-7 fresh basil leaves

Directions: In a saucepan, heat crushed tomatoes over medium heat. When air bubbles start to pop, add the tomato paste and stir to mix with the crushed tomatoes. Add salt and pepper to season. Meanwhile in a large pot, fill less than halfway with water and bring to a boil. Add spaghetti and cook according to directions on the box. Drain pasta and pour back into the pot. Pour the tomato sauce into the pasta and stir to coat.


Preheat the broiler. Slice the Campari tomatoes and lay slices on a baking sheet. Place enough shredded cheese to cover the tomato. Place under broiler for about 2-3 minutes, or until the cheese is melted and browned on top. Remove from oven and place 3-4 slices on each serving of spaghetti. Sprinkle with chopped basil leaves and serve immediately.


Enjoy! xoxo

2 comments:

BlogCatalog BlogCatalog