Wednesday, March 21, 2012

DIY Floral Ephemera Collage



Oh, the ampersand; this emblematic symbol's main purpose is to unite, to bring two things together. "You & Me," "Liberty & Justice," "Bread & Butter." Not only does it act as the logo for a conjunction, it's also able to stand alone as a beautiful symbol; without it, an idea is incomplete. That being said, I was making my daily rounds on Pinterest the other day when I saw a photo of someone who printed an ampersand in floral ephemera (basically just meaning floral cut-outs from magazines, books, etc). I love its symmetry and simplicity and I had to recreate it on my own. I always save magazines, so I pulled some out and started cutting away!


Materials:
  • Scissors
  • Mod-Podge (or a glue stick)
  • Cardstock
  • Magazines, books, postcards, anything with floral print!
  • An 8x10 frame

Instructions

1. Begin by cutting out all of your floral pieces. Small sizes with work the best, and make sure that you have plenty to fill the symbol.

(Photo Credit: DesignSponge.com )

2. Trace an ampersand onto your cardstock. I simply typed one out and made it large enough to cover a decent amount of my sheet. Then I cut it out to make a stencil.

3. Spread Mod Podge over a designated area and lay down floral cuttings. I figured out where I wanted them to go beforehand. That way I could go back and apply the glue. Erase pencil outlines as you go. 


4. When you've finished gluing your collage, let it dry a few minutes before putting it in the frame. Adjust paper as frame needs. Finish by proudly displaying your art on a wall or shelf! 

 
My finished product!

This project is extremely versatile. Not only can you do an ampersand, you can also create your initials or any other symbol that means something significant to you. Instead of floral ephemera, you can use different types of cutouts, buttons, or even pennies. The possibilities are endless! I'm thinking of recreating these to make for wedding cards and Valentines Day cards. Happy crafting!

Elise :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

BlogCatalog BlogCatalog