Friday, August 23, 2013

Easy Crustless Zucchini Quiche [Gluten-Free]

It's been rainy here lately and I can already tell that summer is coming to a close. It's almost as though Mother Nature is trying to close summer down early; some of the trees are already turning a lovely burned orange! I may be the only one who feels this way, but the summer is my least favorite season. Whaaat? Yes I said that. I would probably enjoy them more if I moved out of the Midwest, but summers here are equal to being shoved into a steaming pot of hot water and left to simmer.

I can't wait to don blazers and scarves, drink pumpkin spiced lattes, and go pumpkin picking! My dad's garden already has the first signs of pumpkins and gourds cropping up alongside sunflowers and it looks like heaven. When I was visiting my parents last week, they let me raid their overflowing garden and I walked away with several massive zucchinis! Seriously, you could have hurt someone with those things.



That being said, I've been amassing zucchini recipes to try and use them up. I love the idea of eating seasonally, but I'm not used to it! I love being able to say "I want peaches" and find them in the store. But with some produce, eating them out of season just doesn't taste the same. (I'm looking at you tomatoes... you are nasty during the off-season!).

Zucchini is a great vegetable. It's versatile, nutritious, filling, and can be used in sweet and savory dishes. I felt an unusual craving for a quiche, so I put on my thinking cap and dove in.

Easy Crustless Zucchini Quiche
Serves 8

1 3/4 cups of shredded zucchini (about two medium sized zucchinis, and you can always add more)
1 small onion
3 eggs, beaten
2 tbs organic heavy cream (I use the Organic Valley brand)
1/3 heaping cup of Parmesan (or sharp cheddar), plus more to sprinkle on top
1/3 cup Bisquick Gluten-Free Pancake and Baking Mix
1/2 tsp dried dill
1/4 cup light olive oil
Salt & pepper to taste

Instructions:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Chop onion and saute in a pan over medium heat until soft. Set aside.

Slice zucchini into thick strips and cut off the seeds. Shred zucchini until you have 1 3/4 cups.

In a large bowl, beat the eggs and add the heavy cream and dill seasoning. Pour shredded zucchini, Parmesan cheese, Bisquick and oil into the egg mixture. Add onions to the mixture and season entire mix with salt and pepper.

Generously grease a 9-inch pie pan and pour mixture into the pan. Sprinkle Parmesan over the top and put in the oven. Bake for 35 minutes, or until toothpick comes out clean.

Tastes great served warm or cold!


No comments:

Post a Comment

BlogCatalog BlogCatalog