Tuesday, July 30, 2013

A Week in My Life: Week 30

Here's what last week looked like:

I read a scathing article in the Wall Street Journal about how academia has ruined the study of the humanities. The author's basic argument was that the classics cannot be taught, but must instead simply be read and experienced. Also, how do you like my ancient cell phone??

Meanwhile, on the other side of the living room... Luis drinking a 'cuppa and studying.

This is, by far, one of our favorite dishes. It's Murgh Makhani, or better known as butter chicken. It's the most exotic tasting Indian dish I've had yet- so full of spices and flavor!

I'm a tea fiend.

Velma hates to be touched in any capacity. What she doesn't realize is that this only makes her more cute and irresistible!

Roasted veggies for dinner. This little number is one of my hubby's creations. It's simply 6 red potatoes, 2 red peppers, 2 zucchinis, 8 oz. mushrooms, 2 medium onions, and a few tomatoes roasted at 375 degrees for about a half hour. We sprinkle almost every seasoning on top: salt, pepper, basil, sage, thyme, rosemary, dill, Italian seasoning. It's delicious and really filling!


This weekend we made pasteles at my in-laws. Pasteles are a Puerto Rican dish similar to a tamale. The "dough" is made from green bananas, taro, green plantains, and a form of potato. It's then scooped onto a banana leaf, filled with meat, chickpeas, pimentos, green olives, and folded into a packet, tied with string and boiled until they're cooked.


They have a wonderful taste and are usually served with rice and beans or a starch side, such as yuca or malanga. I was surprised at how filling they were! 

Luis and I are off to California later this week with his family! It's been cold here (literally, cold) and I'm so ready for sun and the scent of the ocean.

Thank you to everyone who took the time to answer my reader's survey that I posted last week! I got some really great insight on what you would like to read more on the ol' blog. I hope you all have a beautiful week! I'd love to hear what's in store for you.

3 comments:

  1. Emilyraphael@gmail.comJuly 30, 2013 at 8:06 PM

    All your food looks amazing. Have fun in Cali! I bet the weather will be beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! We love to experiment with different foods :D I really hope the weather is nice! I mean, it's Cali... isn't it always perfect? :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh yum , murgh makhani is ALWAYS so delish :) Have fun at California girl!
    Noor @ Noor's Place

    ReplyDelete

BlogCatalog BlogCatalog