Wednesday, November 14, 2012

DIY Canvas Wall Art


I've been wanting to post another DIY project for quite some time. The problem is that I just haven't had much time to do anything in the past few months. School has thrown me one curve ball after another and life in general has been pushing me around. I'm not complaining: it happens! 


As I've mentioned, Luis and I moved into a new apartment. I've enjoyed the move because it forced me to reckon with everything I own. Do I need this? Do I want this? Do I even use this? We had quite a bit of stuff to haul over to the Salvation Army and I'm still trying to find new homes for various unwanted items. 

It's also inspired me to create a new atmosphere in our place. I was browsing one of my favorite blogs, enJOY it by Elise Blaha Cripe, when I found a project she whipped up. I realized that I already had all the materials and dove in! It's a really inexpensive and easy DIY project. I think I must have spent $10 at the most on all of the items (and that's a very liberal estimate). Read on for the how-to!


Materials Needed:
1 canvas (any size is fine, it all depends on how big you want the print to be)
2 paint brushes, one with a fine tip, the other a little thicker
1 2 fl. oz. bottle of acrylic paint (I used back paint, you can choose any color)
A plate or somewhere to put the paint you'll be using

I chose a set of lyrics by The Weepies from their song "Simple Life." I just began to paint the lyrics onto the canvas with the larger of the two brushes. Use your wrist to create a fluid motion while you paint- it will make your words flow easier. 


I tried to make the words dark and perfect the first time, but I found that it began to make my words look forced. So I just continued to paint with one or two dabs per word. I let it dry for about an hour and the went over the words with the smaller brush to fill in the spots that needed more color concentration. 


I ended up making two prints to hang on both sides of the wall where we have our t.v. cabinet. I am really loving the way it frames our t.v. and makes the wall look uniform and unique.

 
I still have a ton of ideas and projects that I want to incorporate into our apartment. This is just the beginning!


No comments:

Post a Comment

BlogCatalog BlogCatalog