Thursday, September 20, 2012

Fall Beauty Essentials: Skincare

I love Karlie Kloss! Photo credit: Elle

We all know what time of year it is: the weather's grown chilly, Pumpkin Spiced Lattes are being drunk in droves, and the leaves are starting to show brilliant reds, oranges, and yellows. I love it! Mostly because that means that Christmas is closer... but that's neither here nor there.

As the weather changes, so does our skincare, or at least I believe it should be. In my personal experience (which is all I have to go on) I have noticed that fall skincare is all about one thing: moisturizing.

As it gets colder, the air looses a good deal of its moisture. Fall and winter are dry season, which usually means that your skin gets less moisture from the air as it would in the summer humidity and heat. Have no fear, dear readers. I'm going to share some tricks that have worked well for me. Shall, we?


Moisturizers

Anyone who knows me also knows how much I love this moisturizer; "love" is an understatement, actually. As someone with naturally oily skin, I spent many years on the hunt for a cream that didn't make me break out, wasn't goopy, and lasted all day. I use this moisturizer year round. It keeps the flaking and dryness at bay. I definitely recommend this.

If you don't have oily skin, look for moisturizers that are oil-based, rather than water-based, as the oil will retain more moisture than a cream or lotion. Hint: Many lotions labeled as "night creams" are oil-based. But be careful with which oil you choose. I've often heard that shea butter (or oil) clogs the skin and is more affective on your elbows and feet than on your face. Instead, lighter oils such as almond, primrose, and mineral oils are said to be best.

If all else fails, milk and honey are amazing natural moisturizers. Taking vitamin E tablets also help add moisture to your skin.

Facial Scrubs

Facial scrubs are a tricky thing to master; the more sensitive your skin, the harder it is to master. It's necessary to use a scrub on your face at least once a week. Scrubs work in such a way that your facial cleansers can't- get dig deep to get out dirt and dead skin. In my experience, I've discovered that the less grainy, the better. Too much abrasion can end up doing the exact opposite of what you want it to do.


Pangea Organics makes a natural facial scrub with adzuki bean, cranberry seeds, and primrose oil. I've used this for a few months, twice a week, and I have seen great results. Scrubs serve to keep your skin from looking dull, which can happen very easily in the dry winter air. Pangea's scrub helps keep me as fresh-faced as I can be. (I feel like I should start singing a jingle here...)





I got Vasanti's Brighten Up! Enzymatic Face Rejuvenator in my September Birchbox and I'm already loving it! The granules are tiny and won't burn your skin with to much abrasion. I think Birchbox's description best sums it up. "To fully appreciate this dermatologist-quality scrub, a mini skincare lesson is in order. Let’s start with enzymes: these potent ingredients actually dissolve the bonds that hold dead skin cells together. Microderm crystals, on the other hand, are ultra fine minerals that buff away tired skin." I am definitely adding this to my regimen. 


My last tip is to eat more fish! I can already see the grimace on your face. But seriously. Fish, especially salmon, are jam-packed with natural fatty acids like omega-3 that add natural fatty oils to your skin. I know that the words "fatty," "oil," and "skin" almost never sound right together in a sentence, but the fats found in salmon are the good kind, the kind your body needs in the cold months ahead. 


I'll leave you to let this all soak in. Feel free to share your fall/winter tips with me, or drop a question below! 


Disclaimer: I am in no way affiliated with any of the products or companies mentioned in this post. I speak only on opinion and experience. I am not sponsored or financially connected with them in any way.

2 comments:

  1. I used that Creme from Nivea for almost 10 years, I changed my line product to Garnier :).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What was it about Garnier that made you switch? I'm just curious :D

      Delete

BlogCatalog BlogCatalog