Monday, May 21, 2012

Barbecue Chicken Sandwiches with Cilantro Coleslaw



"Monday, Monday. So good to me..."

Well, not usually. Mondays are hard; there's usually work, or school for some of you. Bright and early. At some points in the year, the sun hasn't even bothered to show itself yet. But that's all a matter of location. The only location I like to be in is my bed, rolled up like a baby on my side.

But let's get real. We have to work for a living, or go to school so we can get a good job and work for a living, and that requires us getting our sorry selves out of bed... sadly. Someday I hope to be self-employed...

Mondays often require a good pick-me-up in the form of an tasty meal. At least in my case. I also like to pig out on dark chocolate seasoned with a pinch of sea salt. Sounds wrong, but it's so right.



Today I made a meal that I don't typically gravitate towards. I've never been a sandwich person, and recipes that include shredded meat are bound to be time-consuming. But something came over me and I planned to make some delicious barbeque sandwiches to sweeten up my Monday. I'd say it went pretty well.


 Even my husband, Luis, got involved in the shredding action!


This was an extremely simple recipe to be completely honest. Look at all that juicy chicken.


A good meal wouldn't be complete without onions, am I right?? Maybe that's just me...


Toasting the Kaiser buns give it just the right amount of crunch!


It's amazing how barbecue sauce makes everything sweet and tangy. 


Don't forget about the cilantro coleslaw! 



Barbecue Chicken Sandwiches with Cilantro Coleslaw
Ingredients

  • 6 pieces of boneless, skinless chicken breasts
  • 1 package of Kaiser rolls (about 6 rolls)
  • Salt and pepper, to taste
  • 4 tablespoons olive oil
  • 1 bottle (large) Barbecue Sauce
  • 1 whole onion, Sliced
  • 8 whole cloves garlic (more to taste)
  • 1 bag of coleslaw
  • 1/2 cup whole milk
  • 1/2 cup mayonnaise
  • 1 teaspoon white vinegar
  • 1 tablespoon sugar
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
  • 1 bunch cilantro, roughly chopped 
For the Coleslaw:
In a separate bowl mix milk, mayonnaise, vinegar, sugar, salt, and cayenne. Pour over cabbage. Toss to combine. Cover and refrigerate two hours.
Before serving, toss in cilantro leaves, and if you want an extra kick, you can even add one jalapeno, diced and seeded.

For the Chicken:
Heat olive oil in a saute pan over medium high heat. Season chicken, and cook through. Chicken should be slightly golden brown. Remove chicken from pot and pour off excess grease.
In a heavy pot, heat more olive oil and add sliced onions and whole garlic cloves. Stir around to cook until onions are soft, about 7 minutes. Lower heat to low, pour in barbecue sauce, add chicken to the sauce, and stir to coat and combine. Let sauce heat up, around 5 minutes.
Meanwhile, toast the kaiser rolls until golden brown. Spoon a heap of chicken mixture on bottom bun, followed by coleslaw mixture. Add the top bun, and serve.



No comments:

Post a Comment

BlogCatalog BlogCatalog