Gather up your ingredients (for full list, see recipe below.)
Cook your onions, garlic, and bacon all at once.
Add your crushed tomatoes, sage, and a pinch of crushed red pepper flakes.
The cannelini beans add a nice flavor. Bean time! Let it all simmer together, and you've got a good thing coming.
Pasta Fagioli Soup
Serves about 6
Recipe adapted from Shutterbean .
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 3 oz. bacon (about 6-8 strips), minced
- 2 small yellow onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 1/2 cups chopped tomatoes (15oz. canned)
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh sage (1 teaspoon of dried sage if you don't have fresh sage)
- pinch of red pepper flakes
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 4 cups (32oz.) chicken or vegetable stock
- 1 15oz. can cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup dried pasta (medium shells or elbow macaroni)
- freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- fresh Italian parsley, finely chopped (for garnish)
Add the pasta to the soup and simmer until the pasta is tender, 12-15 minutes.
Ladle the soup into individual bowls. Garnish with the cheese and a few cut fresh parsley. Serve immediately.