Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Pasta alla Tomato Cream Sauce


Growing up, I went through a large period in my youth where I believed that making everyone happy was what it took to be liked. I tried to dress like everyone else, go along with the same fads as everyone else, pretty much BE like everyone else. If someone asked to borrow a pen, or my finished homework, I would say yes because I wanted them to like me; most people never returned the pen...
Fortunately, I came to the realization that I was surrounding myself with people who didn't care about me at all. They only tolerated my presence because I always said yes.


Once I got to high school, I surrounded myself with genuine, real people who encouraged me to be me. I left "friendships" that were toxic, spent time cultivating myself, and started focusing on things that truly matter in life. I suddenly knew the meaning of happiness; I stopped forcing a circle into a square and embraced what I was given. 
I still had moments of severe insecurity and times of uncertainty, but this time it was different because I had people around me who helped me see reality. My parent's, friend's, and family's always led me towards truth. 


My passion for cooking/baking is something that also changed over time. I hated being in the kitchen when I was younger. My mother literally had to force me to be in the kitchen when she cooked dinner so that she could attempt to teach me a thing or two. (Don't worry mom! I retained all that you taught me!) Sometimes I would find ways to slip away and not have to watch her tenderize beef or properly slice an apple... 


I was home one evening by myself when I felt hunger pangs in my stomach. I wanted pasta. A hearty, delicious, pasta dish. What came out the other end was incredible. 

I've attempted to post this recipe at least five times. But I always forget to take pictures because I'm so focused on finishing the food so I can eat it! But I finally took it slow and recorded it properly so I could share it with you. After everything I've made for dinner, this is still my husband's favorite dish. 



Pasta alla Tomato Cream Sauce

Ingredients:
1/3 cup of olive oil
2 small Vidalia onions, chopped
2 tablespoons minced garlic
1 28 oz. can crushed tomatoes
1 6 oz. can tomato paste
1/3 cup white wine vinegar
1/2 cup of heavy whipping cream (more or less depending on how creamy you prefer it to be)
Salt and pepper
1 box bowtie pasta

In a saute pan, heat olive oil over medium heat. Add chopped onions and garlic and cook until onions are yellowed, about 5 minutes, add salt and pepper to taste. Add can of crushed tomatoes and stir to coat with onions. After a few minutes, add the tomato paste and stir to mix. Tomato mixture will start to bubble. When it does, add the white wine vinegar.
Meanwhile, cook the noodles in a large, drain, and return to pot. Pour the tomato sauce into pot and stir to coat noodles. Add the cream and stir. Add more if you prefer it to be more creamy. Serve immediately!

1 comment:

  1. Oh wow that looks good. It's 8am and I could go for a bowl right now LOL

    ReplyDelete

BlogCatalog BlogCatalog