Friday, March 2, 2012

DIY Project: Pinterest Terrarium

My best friends finally convinced me to make a Pinterest (I'm hooked...) and I kept seeing these gorgeous terrariums. Essentially, terrariums are small arrangements of succulent plants, cacti, or moss in glass jars, cups, or whatever you choose to put them in. Since I live in an apartment, I'm always keeping my eyes open for little ways to make it more lively and interesting. I thought this would be the perfect way to incorporate nature and my new-found interest in gardening.



Check out some more terrarium goodness here!

I read the above article one morning and couldn't shake my desire to make one! They looked so easy!

So, for those of you who, like me, have been sucked into the do-it-yourself arena, read on to learn how to easily make one of these gorgeous terrariums. Your ingredients will include: a glass jar, pebbles or small rocks, cactus potting soil, and your chosen plant! Make sure the plant that you choose will thrive in the level of light your house or apartment can give the plant. If you don't have a southern facing window, perhaps choose one that operates in medium to low level light. Just read the instructions that often come with the plant.



 

Step One: Fill the bottom layer of your glass jar with rock or pebbles. I used Aquarium pebbles, but feel free to use whatever you prefer. This creates a drainage level that succulents and cactus need below their soil. Also, a quick note on the glass jar: I did some research before making these, and I found that most recommend that your jar be transparent. This allows the plant to absorb the most amount of light.



Step Two: With a spoon or measuring cup, add a sufficient layer or potting soil. Make sure that it is in fact CACTUS potting soil and not regular potting soil. I was able to find it at Wal-mart, and they obviously carry it at most garden stores and nurseries. When you've added enough soil, create and indentation to place the plant in. 




Step Three: Remove the plant from its home container and loosen the soil it's sitting in by slowly crushing it between your fingers. Make it loose so that it fits into the indentation in the soil. When it's loose, place it in the jar and add more soil so that it covers and becomes an even layer. During my research, I also learned that your plant will thrive better if it sits slightly above the jar. That way it can get proper air circulation.


Step Four: Add rocks or pebbles to the top layer or the soil. This top layer make the terrarium look finished and polished. Be sure to water your plant right after it's finished. Give enough water to dampen the soil (It will look darker when it's wet).

Here's a photo of my finished product!


I've since made two terrariums and I'm loving the peaceful, earthy vibe that they give to my apartment. Have fun trying this and feel free to share any of your future creations!

Elise







No comments:

Post a Comment

BlogCatalog BlogCatalog